Use and characterisation of new acoustic treatments and tools
Budapest (Hungary), 16-18 December 2019
DENORMS Action’s 5th Training School “Use and characterisation of new acoustic treatments and tools” was held from 16th to 18th December 2019 in Budapest (Hungary), organised by Óbuda University.
This Training school was aimed at the industrial partners and Early Career Investigators. The training was offered in both theoretical and experimental aspects of developing new sound absorbing and sound controlling structures.
During the first day, the refresher training courses were organised covering the basic theory of sound interaction with porous materials and metamaterials. During the following two days lectures and practical sessions familiarised the audience with the new methods used in design of conventional and metamaterial based noise reducing treatments.
More information on the program of the Training School.
Slides of the lectures
- Day 1, December 16 2019 Refresher courses
- Day 2, December 17 2019 Porous materials
- Day 3, December 18 2019 Acoustic metamaterials
- Day 1: Sightseeing, visit of Budapest, boat tour.
- Day 1: YAN social event, beers for free!
- Day 2: Diner at Thököly Restaurant.
Lívia Cvetityánin, Erika Hronyecz, and Katalin Lévay (Local organiser)
Jean-Philippe Groby (DENORMS Chair)
Olga Umnova (DENORMS Vice-Chair)
Arnaud Duval (WG 3 Leader)
DENORMS Action Final event
Coimbra (PRT) – 18th-21st February 2020
The COST funding for four years of networking activities came to an end. To celebrate the networking achievements of the these four years, the DENORMS Action Final event took place from 18th to 21st Feb. 2020 in Coimbra (Portugal) and was the occasion of promoting the Action’s breakthroughs.
Three specific activities were developed:
- Scientific presentations from selected STSM (Short Term Scientific Mission) awarded researchers and internationally recognized researchers.
- Presentation and dissemination of the four Round Robin Tests achieved within the Action.
- Three popularization talks on acoustics / building acoustics / acoustic materials as appetizers before the exhibition “Acoustics and beyond” vernissage at the University of Coimbra’s Museum of Science.
A complete social program accompanied the scientific exchange and dissemination program with daily proposed events.
Full definitive printable program is available here.
Videos of the talks
Presentation from selected STSM (Short Term Scientific Mission) awarded researcher
- Camille Perrot (LMSME, UMR CNRS 8208, Paris Est), Identification of representative volume elements of glass wool panels (video)
- Vicente Romero-García (LAUM, UMR CNRS 6613), Plate-type acoustic metamaterials for acoustic absorption (video)
- Milan Cervenka (Czech Technical University in Prague), Compact wideband reactive silencers with annular resonators (video)
- Noé Jiménez (I3M, CSIC), How to design thin sound diffusers for room acoustics based on metasurfaces: metadiffusers (video)
- Stefan Dimitrijevic (University of Belgrade), Sound Insulation and Reflection Properties of Sonic Crystal Barrier Based on Micro-Perforated Cylinders (video)
- Viktor Hurska (Czech Technical University in Prague), Transmission and generation of sound in corrugated duc (video)
- Lluis Garcia Raffi (Univ. Politècnica de València), Acoustic stealth materials (video)
- Alejandro Cebrecos (Univ. Politècnica de València), Statistic effects in soft architected metamaterials (video)
- Eric Ballestero (London South Bank University), Measuring the Scattering Properties of a 3D-Printed Acoustic Metadiffuser (video)
- Bart Van Damme (EMPA), Modelling acoustic absorption of perforated gypsum foams (video)
- Tao Yang (Technical University of Liberec), Estimating non-acoustical parameters of polyester fibrous material via Bayesian inversion procedure (video)
- Jesus Carbajo (Univ. of Alicante), Manufacturing techniques for perforated metamaterials (video)
Presentation and dissemination of the Round Robin Tests
- Tomasz G. Zielinski (IPPT PAN), Round-Robin Test on 3D-printed Sound Absorbing Porous Materials (video)
- Chiara Scrosati (Italian National Research Council), Round Robin Test on low frequencies in impedance tube and reverberation room (video)
- Paolo Bonfiglio (Materiacustica srl), Round Robin test on elastic properties of poro- and viscoelastic materials for vibro-acoustic applications (video)
- Fabien Chevillotte (Matelys – Research Lab), Porous materials and their standards as of 2020 (video)
Scientific presentations from internationally recognized
- Daniel Torrent (Univ. Jaume I), Advanced artificial structures for the control of acoustic, mechanic and thermal energy (video)
- Gautier Lefebvre (Univ. Technologie Compiègne), Prediction of localization in 2D disordered vibrating systems (video)
- Laurent De Ryck (Siemens – PLM Software), On the psychoacoustics of metamaterials: A comparative listening test and design recommendations (video)
- Lucas Van Belle (KULeuven), Measuring dispersion curves for vibro-acoustic metamaterials (video)
- Arnaud Duval (Trèves) and Fabien Chevillotte (Matelys – Research Lab), White book on industrial problems, Part I (video) and Part 2 (video)
- Vincent Tournat (LAUM, UMR CNRS 6613), General Acoustics (video available soon)
- Bruno Fazenda (Univ. of Salford), Rooms Acoustics (video available soon)
- Mathieu Gaborit (KTH) and Marco Miniaci (IEMN, UMR CNRS 8520), Acoustic materials (video available soon)
Second edition of the « Symposium on Acoustic Metamaterials » (SAM)
The second edition of the « Symposium on Acoustic Metamaterials” (SAM) took place from 9th to 11th October 2019 in Ischia (Italy) and was organised by YRAM (Young Researchers in Acoustic Metamaterials), COST Action DENORMS CA 15125 and the University of Salerno.
This second Symposium on Acoustic Metamaterials was targeted to PhD candidates, Early Career Investigators (i.e. researcher whose career spun less than 8 years since the date of the PhD) and aimed at sharing new advances and breakthroughs as well as fostering the community of young researchers in the field of acoustic metamaterials. The second SAM was organised around 6 different sessions comprising 20 min talks and plenary lectures.
More information can be found on the SAM website.
Wednesday 9th October 2019
Plenary lecture by Andrea Bergamini (EMPA): Imitating Nature and Beyond and Additive Manufacturing of Phononic Materials
- Emily Glover, Paul Keatley, Robert Hicken, and Alastair Hibbins, Tunable Magnetoelastic Phononic Crystals.
- Shubhi Bansal, Magnetically Responsive Dynamic AcousticMeta-cell.
- Oliver Latcham, Yuliia Gusieva, Andrey Shytov, Oksana Gorobets, and Volodymyr Kruglyak, Hybrid magneto-acoustic metamaterials for ultrasound control.
- Nesrine Kherraz, Lionel Haumesser, Franck Levassort, Paul Benard, and Bruno Morvan, Hybridization bandgap induced by an electrical resonance in piezoelectric metamaterial plates.
- Gregory Chaplain and Richard Craster, Graded metasurfaces for wave manipulation: reversed conversion and flat lensing.
- Bart Van Damme and Louie Matar, Wave dispersion in one-dimensional phononic quasicrystals.
Plenary lecture by Jean-Philippe Groby (LAUM, UMR CNRS 6613): Bio-inspired and natural meta-fluids for sound absorption.
- Théo Cavalieri, Jean Boulvert, Logan Schwan, Gwénaël Gabard, Jean-Philippe Groby, Vicente Romero-García, Jacky Mardjono, and MarieEscouflaire, Acoustic wave propagation in effective graded fully-anisotropic fluid layers.
- Jean Boulvert, Théo Cavalieri, Josué Costa-Baptista, Logan Schwan, Vicente Romero-García, Gwénaël Gabard, Edith Fotsing, Annie Ross,Jacky Mardjono, and Jean-Philippe Groby, Numerical optimization method of continuously graded material.
- Vicente Romero-García, Noé Jiménez, Jean Philippe Groby, OlivierRichoux, Georgios Theocharis, and Vincent Pagneux, Perfect acoustic absorption in deep sub-wavelength structures for the ventilation problems.
- Eric Ballestero, Noé Jiménez, Jean-Philippe Groby, Stephen Dance ,Haydar Aygün, and Vicente Romero-García, Experimental Validation of a 3D-Printed Quadratic Residue Metadiffuser.
- Marco Miniaci, Bio-inspired hierarchical metamaterials.
- Ze Zhang, Elke Deckers, Claus Claeys, and Wim Desmet, Acoustic metasurface for broadband, wide angle of incidence sound absorption via wave manipulation in a sound transmission context.
- Mathieu Gaborit, Olivier Dazel, Peter Göransson, and Luc Jaouen, Merging acoustic film characterisation data and full system responses for efficient envelope determination.
Tuesday 10th October 2019
Plenary lecture by Richard Craster (Imperial College): Elastic Metamaterials.
- Dongwoo Lee, Seismic phononic crystals by elastodynamic Navier equation.
- Rachele Zaccherini, Andrea Colombi, Antonio Palermo, Vasilis Dertimanis, Alessandro Marzani, and Eleni Chatzi, Elastic metasurfaces for shear waves control.
- Farhad Zeighami, Antonio Palermo, and Alessandro Marzani, Rayleigh waves bandgap tuning via inertial amplified metasurfaces.
- Giulia Aguzzi, Panagiotis Martakis, Andrea Colombi, and Eleni Chatzi, Design of layered base foundations for elastic wave mitigation in buildings.
- Bogdan Ungureanu, Sébastien Guenneau, Stephane Brule, and Richard Craster, The interaction of large scale metamaterials with seismic and elastic surface waves.
- Jacopo M. De Ponti, Andrea Colombi, Raffaele Ardito, FrancescoBraghin, Alberto Corigliano, and Richard Craster, Graded metasurface for enhanced sensing and energy harvesting.
- Georg A. Mensah and Nicolas Noiray, Adjoint-based calculation of shape-gradients for acoustic metamaterials with application to thermoacoustic-instability damping.
- Bethany Staples, Alastair Hibbins, and Roy Sambles, Coupled Scholte Modes in Plastic Plates Underwater.
- Muhammad Tayyab Noman, Michal Petru, and Jiri Militky, Effect of ultrasonic waves on the surface properties of cotton.
Friday 11th October 2019
Plenary lecture by Jensen Li (Hong Kong University of Science and Technology): Space-coilin metamaterials: from negative refraction to generating wave illusion and Willis coupling.
- María Rosendo-López, Zhiwang Zhang, Daniel Torrent, and JohanChristensen, Multiple Scattering Theory in the study of Non-Hermitian Sonic Second Order Topological Insulators.
- Penglin Gao, Daniel Torrent, Francisco Cervera, Pablo San-Jose, JoseSanchez-Dehesa, and Johan Christensen, Majorana bound state in Kekule distorted sonic lattices.
- Emanuele Riva, Quadrelli Davide, Jacopo Marconi, Gabriele Cazzulani, and Francesco Braghin, Nonreciprocal phonon transport in space-time discretely modulated beams.
- Domenico Tallarico, Gwenael Hannema, Andrea Bergamini, Marco Miniaci, Armin Zemp, and Bart Van Damme, Superelement modelling of elastic metastructures.
- Matthieu Malléjac, Aurélien Merkel, José Sánchez-Dehesa, JohanChristensen, Vincent Tournat, Vicente Romero-García, and Jean-Philippe Groby, Experimental evidence of a non-delayed propagation through a Density-Near-Zero plate-type metamaterial.
- Davide Enrico Quadrelli, Emanuele Riva, Gabriele Cazzulani, and Francesco Braghin, A Reconfigurable Topological WaveguideExploiting Negative Capacitance Shunting Circuits.
Plenary lecture by Angela Madeo (INSA Lyon): Towards the engineering design of metamaterials’ structures through micro-morphic enriched continuum modeling.
Pictures of the Workshop are available here.